Interpreter’s absence stalls Nyanya bomber’s trial

Unknown
0
The re-scheduled arraignment of the alleged kingpin of the April 14, 2014 Nyanya bombing in Abuja, Aminu Ogwuche, and six others before a Federal High Court in Abuja, was again stalled on Friday.

The lack of personnel to intepret from English to Hausa for some of the accused persons was responsible for the setback at the Friday’s proceedings.

The arraignment had earlier been stalled on February 6, 2015 because some of the accused persons had yet to procure legal services for their defence.

On Friday, Justice Ahmed Mohammed informed the lawyers of all the parties in the case that the court’s interpreter, Mr. Murtala Abdullahi, had on a compassionate ground, traveled to attend to his ailing wife.

“If official language of communication is not understood by the accused persons, then their right to a fair hearing will be breached,” he said.

He, however, sought the cooperation of the lawyers so that the case can be treated and determined with dispatch.

“This is a passionate plea for understanding and cooperation,” the judge said.

Responding on behalf of other lawyers, Ogwueche’s lawyer, Ahmed Raji (SAN), said they had briefly met and had an understanding to work towards the speedy determination of the case.

He added that the defence would not ask for bail for the accused persons in order not to delay the matter.

The terrorism offences the accused persons were charged with are by their nature not ones which the accused are granted bail.

He, therefore, asked for an accelerated hearing of the case.

Justice Mohammed then adjourned the matter till March 6.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Add your comments here.

Post a Comment (0)